This page describes the steps necessary to transfer TMG to GEDCOM from one computer to another. Follow these steps if you get a new PC, or you want to use TMG to GEDCOM on your laptop PC but it is currently installed on your desktop PC, etc.
See the "License Grant" section of the End User License Agreement for multiple-computer usage restrictions.
Please read all the instructions before you start.
To perform the following steps, you may need to download files from the web and/or transfer files from one PC to another. To download files, you will need an Internet connection and browser program. If the new PC does not have an Internet connection, you'll have to download to a PC with an Internet connection and transfer files from that PC to the new PC.
You can transfer files between PCs several ways. A straight-forward method is to copy files via a USB flash drive (AKA "thumb drive"). If the two PCs are on the same local area network, you can move files over that network.
The instructions refer to the TMG to GEDCOM folder. That folder is a subfolder of the "Documents" folder, the special folder in Windows where Microsoft encourages users to store their personal data files.
These instructions refer to an old PC and a new PC. The old PC is where TMG to GEDCOM is installed now, and the new PC is where you want to install it next. The actual age of the PCs doesn't matter.
- Download the install file for TMG to GEDCOM from the download page. Run the install file to install the program.
You cannot move TMG to GEDCOM by copying the program files that are installed on your old PC. You must use the TMG to GEDCOM install program to install it on the new PC.
- After TMG to GEDCOM is installed, start it. Starting TMG to GEDCOM will create the TMG to GEDCOM folder on the new PC.
You will be prompted for your license information. Specify the exact values that were sent to you when you purchased your TMG to GEDCOM license. If you have changed your name or email address, do not specify the new values. You must use the information you provided at the time the license was issued.
- After entering your registration data, close TMG to GEDCOM.
- Copy your TMG to GEDCOM file(s) from your old PC to your new PC. TMG to GEDCOM files have the extension
.tgfile. They are usually located under the TMG to GEDCOM folder. Copy the files to the TMG to GEDCOM folder on the new PC.
- Start TMG to GEDCOM again. TMG to GEDCOM on your new PC will have no "recently used files" history for your settings files. To open a settings file, use the File > Open command and then use the standard Microsoft Windows methods to move to the folder that contains the file and open it.
- When the settings file is open, you will see the "Database" section.
- If your TMG project is in the same location on the new PC as on the old PC, TMG to GEDCOM will load the TMG project and its path will appear under the [Choose Data File...] button. You are done.
- If your TMG project is not in the same location on the new PC as on the old PC, TMG to GEDCOM will need your help to find it. Click the [Open Data File...] button, navigate to the location of your TMG project, and open it.
After performing the steps, you should be able to use TMG to GEDCOM on the new PC.
This page last changed on 02 Jul 2019.